James Purdey established his gun and rifle making business in 1814 at premises in Prince's street.
Within ten years he was being spoken of as the finest gunmaker in London.
On 12 February 1868 the Prince of Wales, who became King Edward VII, granted James Purdey his Royal Warrant of Appointment. A decade later, on 28 March 1878, having purchased many Purdey guns and rifles, Queen Victoria assigned a Royal Warrant to Purdey, as has every British monarch since.
Four years later Purdey moved into Audley House, a specially built property in newly developed Mayfair. 57 South Audley Street is still Purdeyâ€™s home to this day, and its famed Long Room, originally built as a working office, is today revered in the game-gun community.
By continuing our tradition of craftsmanship, excellence, and attention to detail, we hope that many generations to come will be able to enjoy the exceptional pleasure of owning a bespoke Purdey gun.