Nicholas & Michael Wainwright
Founded in 1798 in Liverpool, at the dawn of the cityï¿½s golden age, Boodle and Dunthorne became the cityï¿½s leading jewelers. For the next century, as Liverpool flourished, so did the company.
The Wainwright family originally owned another jeweller in Parker Street, Liverpool, but in 1910 bought Boodle and Dunthorne and amalgamated the two businesses into one company.
Under the auspices of Henry Wainwright, the business continued to prosper and in 1926 moved to Boodles House, the companyï¿½s Georgian home in Lord Street, where it remains to this day.
Throughout the 1930ï¿½s and war years, Henry and his son Herbert oversaw the supply of watches and chronographs to the Admiralty and Air Ministry. For many years they designed and produced the solid gold trophies, which were presented to the Grand National winner at nearby Aintree.
In 1945, Captain Anthony Wainwright was in Burma when he received the terrible news that both his grandfather and father had died within a couple of weeks of each other. He had been awarded the Burma Star and was released from National Service. He was the first man to return home from the campaign so that he could run the family business.
During the post war years, traditional jewellery, sporting trophies and university silverware were staples of the business, and Boodles was honored to make the octagonal silver stand for HRH Princess Elizabethï¿½s wedding cake. Under Tonyï¿½s direction the business grew with shops opening in Chester in 1965 and Manchester in 1982.
Retaining his military bearing to the end, he was succeeded by sons Nicholas and Michael in 1992.
Nicholas became responsible for the creative direction of the company and Michael developed the commercial side of the business. London stores were opened in Regent Street, Harrods, Royal Exchange and Sloane Street.
As the 20th century was drawing to a close, with the growth of international jewellery brands, Michael and Nicholas had a vision to become the British jewellery brand that could compete head to head with the very best in the world. Boodles focused on the acquisition of rare and exquisite gemstones, a highly talented in house design team, and the workmanship of leading British master craftsmen.
At the same time, and in collaboration with the celebrated architect Eva Jiricna, Boodles stores were transformed into gleaming confection of steel and glass becoming the perfect backdrops for sparkling jewels.
Design honours and lifetime achievement awards then followed and in 2004 the transformation was complete when the brand was re-christened simply ï¿½Boodlesï¿½.
Cosmopolitan glamour heralded the opening of the companyï¿½s Dublin store in 2006. The realization of a long-cherished family dream became reality when Boodles opened its New Bond Street store in 2007.
Six generations on, Boodles remains a totally family owned British company employing 100 people, with Jody, Nicholasï¿½ son and James Amos, nephew of Nicholas and Michael, immersed in the companyï¿½s culture of integrity, dedication to quality and customer service.