Reinhold Wolff, an industrialist from Vorarlberg and Walter Palmers, a retail entrepreneur from Vienna.
In 1949 they founded the company of Wolff & Co. KG in Bregenz at Lake Constance. With their own dyeing department and moulding shop, in the same year as nylon made its appearance in Europe, they started to manufacture nylon stockings. A year later – 1950 – the brand name of Wolford first became a registered trade mark.
After a further expansion in 1953 the first double perlon stockings were introduced to the market and during the following years production expanded rapidly following acquisition of circular knitting machines for hosiery. To this day Wolford still works with circular knitting machines for the production of seamless products.